Sunday 30 January 2011

RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch Survey

When I looked out of my bedroom window at 9:35am this morning and saw my first Greenfinch of the year on one of the feeders, I decided it was time to start my first RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch survey.  I've known about the BGB for a while, but I've never actually taken part before.

Armed with my binoculars, a cup of tea, some toast and my recording sheet printed off the BGB website, I shut myself in the dining room with the curtains slightly ajar to avoid being seen by the birds.  I say 'shut myself in' because we have two cats who were under strict orders not to be let out of the house or in the dning room for a hour or else I would see nothing.

The weather was good having warmed up considerably since the below freezing temperatures of yesterday and the sun frequently broke through the light cloud cover. Here's what I recorded:
  • Greenfinch - first time this year
  • Bullfinch - first ever recording in my garden
  • Coal Tit (2) - first time this year
  • Goldfinch
  • Blackbird (4)
  • Starling (4)
  • House Sparrow (4)
  • Blue Tit
  • Dunnock
  • Wood Pigeon
That made a total of 10 species and 20 individual birds that were in my back garden between 9:35am and 10:35am this morning. I also saw the following birds from my window but as they not actually in my garden I didn't submit them:
  • Skein of Pink-footed Geese (200+)
  • Jay
  • Collared Dove (2)
  • Magpie
  • Gull - probably Black-headed (14+)
I was quite disappointed not to see my fairly regular Robin, Long-tailed Tits, Coal Tits and Chaffinch during the sample time but hey-ho, that's what sampling is all about. All in all it wasn't a bad count for my suburban location.

After an hour the session was over and so I logged on the BGB website and submitted my recordings online.  I didn't take any photographs today as I was too busy counting and recording.  The cats can go out now!

Update: I went out for a walk later along the Tyldesley Loopline footpath near my house and also saw Coal Tits, Blue Tits, House Sparrows, Goldfinches, Robins, a Bullfinch, a Chaffinch, Magpies, Collared Doves, Woodpigeons and five Redwing.  Not a bad day's birding on my local patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.