Saturday 20 July 2019

The Fabulous Farne Islands

Warning Will Robinson, this post is still a work in progress ...



Last week I took my wife Sarah to see the fabulous Farne Islands and I'm very pleased to say that she was disappointed. We fired up Bessy, our old motorhome and birdmobile, and from the moment we left my fingers weren't permanently crossed that we didn't break down. Thankfully, Bessy performed admirably.  However, the weather could be a different matter I was thinking - from several very hot and sunny days it had suddenly turned to dull overcast skies and heat rain.



I'd booked two nights on Springhill Farm caravan and camping site at Seahouses and, after a scenic detour from the A1 which was closed at one section, we arrived there in just less than five hours, an hour and a half longer the planned.  I'd been to this site in 2017 on my first visit to the Farnes and I was pleased to say that the camp site was still as good as I'd remembered it.



After checking in we took quick look at the harbour area in Seahouses to decide where to park in the morning and I was horrified to see that the whole harbour was cordoned off and undergoing works to prevent it crumbling into the sea. It was still open to passengers for the trips however.  Nevermind, there was more parking up in the village centre which was still within an acceptable walking distance for me and my heavy camera gear.



We had fish and chips at one of the restaurants and then took a drive along the coastal road to the pretty village of Bamburgh and its very impressive castle.  I recanted the tale of Grace Darling and her daring rescue as we drove past the churchyard where she is buried and Sarah got a brief glimpse of her tomb.  She also pointed the Grace Darling museum on the opposite side of the road.


The weather wasn't getting any better and it was quite dark by now, so we decided to head back to the campsite and a cup of tea before going to bed.


After a reasonable good night's sleep we had breakfast and set off for the harbour. I had originally planned to get there very early to secure a price parking space, but with the harbour being out of bounds due to the works, it wasn't so pressing.



I checked in at the Billy Shiels ticket office to get the tickets and then at the National Trust office to get the landing passes, which were in the form of wrist bands.  Landing on the islands costs a staggering extra £34.50 per person if you're not a member of the National Trust, so in 2017 I joined the Scottish National Trust, which is half the price of the (English) National Trust and we've been join members ever since.  The two organisations have reciprocal agreements for allowing member to visit their properties and as yet, we've never been refused entry into a National Trust site with our Scottish memberships.



Soon we were boarding the St, Cuthbert III and on our way to the Farnes.

More text to follow .... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.