Monday 29 July 2019

In Search of Green Woodpeckers

To finish off the day I went in search of Green Woodpeckers in Dunham Massey Park, about half abhor's drive from home. Green Woodpecker are notoriously shy and difficult to photograph without being in a hide, and any good locations for them are closely guarded secrets. Needless to say, I am not 'in' on any of these secret locations (in Liverpool for example), so I have to make do with what is common knowledge.


Green Woodpeckers are well-known at Dunham Massey Park and can often be heard yaffling if you walk round there.  But finding them is very difficult and photographing them even harder.  The best time is in the early morning or late evening during just after the breeding season after the hordes of people have gone home. They come down to feed on the countess anthills which are present at Dunham  and can sometimes stay long  enough to get a shot.


Although I only got a couple of record shots, I did have some great views of them flying across an area which I though might well produce some good flight shots.  But tonight I couldn't stay long enough, so that would have to be for next time.


I don't normally take photograph of rabbits, but these two youngsters were so cute I couldn't resist!

I also saw this albino Fallow Deer which I thought looked quite unusual, so I took a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.