Wednesday 19 December 2018

A Quick Return to Lunt

It always surprises me when what I regard as a rather run-of-the-mill photograph gets lots of likes on Facebook, especially when I don't think the shot is that good.  I took this photo of a Kestrel from Lunt Meadows in Merseyside whilst I was waiting for a Short-eared Owl to show and it's had a total of nearly 1000 likes in various groups on Facebook to date.


Gary Clarke, Denis Eagling and I were standing on the River Alt embankment looking down on to a farmer's field over which the bird had been hovering in a few places.  This Kestrel will be the same bird as I photographed a couple of days ago and this must be its territory.

We decided to get a little closer for a better shot because our height on the embankment brought us to almost eye-level with the bird at times. However I was at the back of the queue and, as Gary and Denis approached, it flew past them and towards me, enabling me to get this shot.  I don't think it's quite sharp enough and there's not enough depth of field, but I guess the angle and pose make the shot quite pleasing.


I didn't really get close enough to the Owls today, so all my shots are heavily cropped which increases their lack of sharpness.  So the quest for that killer Short-eared Owl shot continues ...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.