Sunday 20 May 2018

Kent Trip Day 4 - Stodmarsh NNR, Kent

Whilst out and about in Kent last weekend I spoke to many people I met on my travels, and one particular place came up several times in my conversations - Stodmarsh National Nature Reserve.  It was one of the reserves for which I had printed a map and ear-marked as a possible place to go, so with these recommendations I set off on Sunday.



It wasn't long before I was off the main M20 motorway and A-roads and driving down narrow country lanes with high-sided hedges  And then I looked at my fuel gauge, realised the tank was nearly empty and that I was in the middle of nowhere with no signs of any properties, never mind a petrol station - I started to panic!



There was nothing to do except continue driving until I either found a petrol station or ran out of fuel.  Fortunately I made it the pub at the Grove Ferry end of Stodmarsh NNR and managed to get some directions to an ASDA store on the outskirts of Canterbury. It was around 10 miles away but fortunately I made it there and filled the tank right to the top for the journey home tomorrow.



I was going to start my visit to Stodmarsh NNR at Grove Ferry, but after going so far out of my way to get fuel, I decided to begin at the Stodmarsh village end to which I was now much closer.  I have to say it wasn't the easiest place to find on a first-time visit, although I think I'll remember the route if I ever go again.


My target birds here were Nightingale, Marsh Harrier, Hobby, Cuckoo and possibly Bittern. From my recent searches in the last couple of days, I'd decided that I was a bit too late to see Nightingales this year, so I'd probably have to be content with just hearing them and the one fleeting glimpse I had at Cliffe Pools RSPB on the first day of my trip.




I had been told that Marsh Harriers were nesting in front of the Reedbed Hide, so that's where I headed for first of all and on the way there I met a couple who had stopped to listen to a Nightingale.  Apart from a snippet on the car park later, that was the only indication I had of these beautiful songsters here today. And it didn't help by being almost drowned out by a nearby Cetti's Warbler!




At the Reedbed Hide I chatted with a local photographer called Alan (I think), who gave me some great information about the site although it was very quiet here today, as well as telling me his life story!  To make things worse the weather was becoming duller by the minute and the sky was leaden grey.  Despite the poor light I did manage to get some shots of a Great Crested Grebe, a Grey Heron catching a very small fish before flying off, and a drake Shoveler perhaps already going into eclipse.


I got my first glimpse of a Hobby through the hide window and Alan then went on to tell me the best place to see them on the route to Marsh Hide, the next one on the trail.  The Swifts were gathering in large numbers and catching flies over the reed beds and they were soon joined by up to half a dozen Hobbies.  Alan told me he frequently had twenty plus Hobbies in the air together here and that there had been a report of up to 60 birds present in the recent past.  Dull grey skies meant that none of my photos were that good today, so I hope to return in better weather sometime.



At Marsh Hide a large party of birders was filling in the hide, and when we asked what they had seen there was nothing much to report except for a distant Greenshank.  They soon left and so did we, and on the way back to the reedbed to look for more Hobbies, I picked up a Linnet.



To end the first part of my visit here, I went back to the Reedbed Hide where I picked up a Greylag Goose coming into land, but nothing else new.  However, there were four other birders in the hide now and we had a good chat about Life, the Universe and Everything as birders and photographers usually do when they get together and nothing much is happening.



After a while I decided to leave the guys in the hide and visit the remains of the old Tower Hide in spite of Alan not being keen to walk down this causeway for some reason unbeknown to me.  The Tower Hide has either fallen down or has been dismantled for health and safety reasons and is now just a pile of wood ruins with a metal fence around it.  But I so glad that I came down here as I heard a Cuckoo which sounded fairly close and when I looked up it was in the tree above me.  Not a great angle for a photograph, but i just love those stripey trousers!


As I was returning to the car park the weather was getting better and blue skies were showing at last.  I met up with another a birder here who was listening for Nightingales and we had a couple of short snippets of song.  We had a good chat about the birds here and the wider area before I set off back to the Grove Ferry end of the reserve for my final session.  I was promised Cuckoo and Kingfisher in the area around Feast's Hide, but I saw only Lapwing, a Common Tern and Ducks.



The sun had come out and with a gentle breeze the reeds were swaying gently. It had turned into a perfect spring evening and I just sat back and took it all in.  Marsh Frogs, which I'd first heard at Dungeness RSPB on Friday, were croaking in bursts from time to time, but I never managed to see one. In spite of the lack of birds and wildlife, I could have stayed a lot longer, but I had promised my son and his wife that I'd take them out for a pub meal as a thank-you for giving me bed and breakfast for the last four days.



But on the way back to the car  I did have very brief glimpse of a fox bounding its way through a field of Meadow Buttercups. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.