Friday 11 May 2018

Day 1 - St. Aidan's RSPB and Fairburn Ings RSPB

The final L.O.S. fieldtrip of the season is to the fabulous Bempton Cliffs RSPB nature reserve in east Yorkshire. Although I've travelled there and back in a single day on many occasions,  as I've got my motorhome back on the road I've decided to spend a few days there and tie it in with the RSPB boat trip from Bridlington Harbour.

So, with my tickets for the boat trip booked online,  today I set off for Grange Farm caravan and motorhome site in the Flamborough area, which is equidistant between Bridlington and Bempton.  But I was never going to travel all that distance without stopping somewhere on the way first, and the RSPB reserves at St. Aidan's in Swillington and Fairburn Ings seemed to be as good as anywhere for  visit, without needing to go too far off track.

My main and only target at St. Aidan's RSPB was to get some shots of the Sand Martins which I'd seen just starting to gather on my last visit in April.  A man-made nesting bank has been created on one of the pools and that's where I was heading.  However, I couldn't resist having a quick look for  one of the resident Little Owls on the huge coal dragline parked permanently outside the new visitor centre there.  Unfortunately I didn't see them today, but I did get this nice Kestrel instead.


To be continued ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.