Monday 5 July 2021

Black-browed Albatross at Bempton Cliffs


After a two and half hour journey, I turned up at 2pm to find that this very rare bird, a Black-browed Albatross, had gone AWOL and immediately my heart dropped. But I was determined to stick it out and even stay overnight for another look tomorrow if necessary. 


Fortunately I didn't need to, but it was a very long wait - the bird wasn't seen until just after 7pm when it was spotted by birders with scopes way in the distance on the sea opposite the Flamborough headland. It was another hour or more before it finally made its way to roost at Staple Newk amongst the Gannet colony, by which time the decent light had almost completely gone.


But I was still very happy to see this remarkable and majestic seabird and get some shots of it. This particular bird has visited Bempton Cliffs several times in recent years but I'm told that this is the longest time it has stayed. And if it stays any longer, I may well have another shot at it - photographically of course!

LIFER !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.