Thursday 8 August 2019

Got the Little Bustard!

News of  a mega rare Little Bustard was rife on the internet this week and, as I'm struggling to increase my UK life list, I just had to go for it. Fortunately I had a good idea of where it was from the descriptions on BirdGuides as I often pass close to its location when visiting St. Aidan's RSPB.


I also knew that photographs would be difficult due to the distance, fences and heat haze as I seen some photos from well-known photographers which were only record shots at best. But that didn't deter me or hundreds of other birders descending on Methley, near Mickletown Ings this week - it truly is a very rare bird.


The bird showed quite well at times when viewed through a scope, but it was just too far for a decent shot, although some people on different, less hazy days, have done better.  I was just happy enough to see its distinguishing features and decided that video might be a better record for me today.

From here I was originally going to visit St. Aidan's RSPB but problems with workmen and builders parking in my usual spot made me change my mind and I headed off for Adel Dam instead. I was hoping for some close Kingfisher shots here, but in the end I only got a couple of fleeting glimpses.


The Mandarin Ducks were in eclipse, but I was surprised how nice the males looked



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.