Saturday 25 May 2019

Everyone should have a Hobby


With the prospect of blue skies today and rain tomorrow, I went into Leigh at around 7:15am this morning to try for some Peregrine flight shots from our local birds. I must have arrived too late as the the two adults were sitting near the nest and didn't move for over an hour - the chicks had obviously been fed already. It's amazing how long birds of prey can sit for without moving much, so after an hour and half I gave up and went into town for some fuel. 

On my way back I decided to have another quick look on the off chance that one of the birds might have gone hunting whilst I was away, hopefully to return with some prey. Nope, both adults were still in exactly the same place! However, about 15 minutes later I saw what I first thought was one of them in the air, so out came the camera. As I was taking shots I scanned the area and saw that the two adult Peregrines were still in the same place and so this was a third bird.


At first I thought it was another Peregrine, perhaps one of last year's young, but when I looked at my photos I saw the streaked breast and tell-tale red 'trousers' of a Hobby! I fully expected one of the Peregrines to see the Hobby off as it circled the nest area a couple of times before flying off. No calls, no movement, nothing - they didn't seem at all bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.