Thursday 18 April 2019

Part 1 - Red-necked Grebe in Lincolnshire

I set off early this morning to get to Barton-upon-Humber in Lincolnshire before the sun had heated things up enough to create a haze.  My first target for the day was the Red-necked Grebe that's been reported at the Sailing Pits there.  I was very keen to photograph this bird as I'd only ever seen one once before on the River Weaver at Frodsham Marsh, when my views hadn't been the best.  There had also one showing very well recently in Bangor which I hadn't managed to get to see.  So this was probably going to be my best chance this year.



With great directions from Facebook buddy Paul Coombes, I arrived at the parking spot and had found the bird only a few minutes after looking on the water in the south-west corner of the pits.


I walked round to the south side where I met a couple of fishermen and chatted to them for a while as the bird was moving away from me and out into the middle of the water.  Both fishermen seemed quite interested and one of them knew about the bird being here, but didn't know which one it was, so I pointed it out.  His views were a bit distant though and he said he'd bring his binoculars next time he came.



I then set myself up on the boards of an unused fishing peg to get as low as possible and waited for the bird to turn round and come a bit closer.  It never really came close, so I have to be satisfied with these shots. A good start to the day.

I was also surprised to see a male Scaup on the water too, as this hadn't been reported as far as I know.  I found out later that this bird might be resident there now as it can't fly.

As I walked back to the car I first heard and then saw a male Blackcap singing in the woodland along the path, so I decided to try for a few shots.  I'm very pleased that I did as these are probably my best shots of the day.


I also spent a little time photographing this lovely little Long-tailed Tit as it fed on the insects it was collecting.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.