Monday 9 April 2018

Motorhome Woes

I've not had a lot of luck with an old 1997 Peugeot Autosleeper Symphony motorhome which I bought primarily for going birding in about three years ago.  A succession of faults and work needed due to MOT failures has meant that I've only overnighted in it four times since buying it and then only for a maximum of two nights. My best trip has been to the Farne Islands last July where I used it at a campsite at Seahouses, but in truth it's been a very poor purchase due to it's condition and I stand to lose quite a lot of money if I try to sell it.  I really should have had it looked at by someone before buying it and it's quite clear now that the guy who sold it to me was a crook, especially as he was later prosecuted and convicted for faking vehicle documents.  But it's easy to be wise after the event.

It failed it's MOT again in April this year and so the question was, do I take the (very big) hit and sell it, or do I pour some more money into it and get it back on the road?  Well, my reckoning was that I wasn't going to be able to sell it for anything worthwhile without an MOT so I had to get that sorted first.

And then I've decided that I'm going to use it at least until midsummer in trying to do five target trips - Dumfries and Galloway, Norfolk and Suffolk, Spurn, the North East Coast, and Anglesey.  Depending on how these go I may also venture further into Scotland to go up to the Cairngorms and the Black Isle.  I really should try to sell it then with at least six months left on its MOT.

That's the plan for now, let's see how it goes starting with a trip to the beautiful Dumfries and Galloway, target birds of Barnacle Geese, Ospreys, Peregrines, Black Guillemots, Brent Geese, Scaup and Divers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.