Sunday 7 January 2018

In Search of Owls, Swans and Geese

I started today's excursion by looking for some Bewick's Swans which had recently been reported at Hundred End near Banks Marsh. Unfortunately I could only find a small group of ten birds consisting of four Whooper Swans with four juveniles and two Mute Swans.


You can't pass by Gravel Lane in Banks without having a quick look for Banksy the resident Owl. Today I was lucky as there he was sitting in his usual place on the roof enjoying the afternoon sunshine.






I couldn't find the reported Little Stints on Crossen's Inner Marsh, but it was very cold so I didn't stay too long. I did briefly meet local birders Stuart Derbyshire, Mark Nightingael and Pete Kinsella though. Next I had a quick look at Marshside RSPB where a new production entitled 'Gulls on Ice' was being rehearsed.


I finally moved on to Lunt Meadows but, to paraphrase Star Wars, these were not the Short-eared Owl photographs I was looking for.  Not a bad afternoon in general though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.