Sunday 7 July 2013

My One and Only Hobby Sighting This Year


The Peregrines weren't really playing out today and so I spent more time taking shots of other birds in the area such as this Blackbird, a Chaffinch and a Wren.




Before leaving I did manage to get one shot of the Peregrine though:


I decided to go the long way home from Leigh via the East Lancs Road in the hope that I might pick up a Kestrel or Buzzard over the fields.  I wasn't to be disappointed as I soon saw a Kestrel hovering and so I pulled into a layby to get some shots. However, I had only just got out of the car when I chanced upon this Brown Hare scurrying across the grass.  It briefly stopped for a snapshot before disappearing under a hedge.



Meanwhile the Kestrel had landed on a lamppost about a hundred metres away and was peering down into the fields looking for lunch.  As I approached, it took off and again landed on a lamppost another hundred metres or so down the road. As I made my way once again towards the Kestrel something flying over the fields caught I my eye and so I fired off a few shots - I was very pleased to discover it was a Hobby, my first and only sighting this year.




It was a little distant for a really good shot, but I am quite pleased to have got these shots as I don't see Hobbies very often.

The Kestrel was playing fair however, and after a while it was clear that I wouldn't be able to get close today.  Here's the best of what I got:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.