Thursday 17 November 2011

Leighton Moss RSPB

After checking the weather for the last couple of days, I finally got round to going to Leighton Moss RSPB reserve in Lancashire for the first time today.  I'd been meaning to go ever since I got my RSPB membership in February, but even though it's only around 60 miles away, I'd never managed it until now.

In this quick posting I'm just going to list ALL the birds I saw today, and when I've sorted through the hundreds of photos I took, I'll add some of the better ones.  Here's the complete list, pretty much in the order in which I saw them:

Visitor's Centre Area (including the feeding station)

  • Chaffinch (male and female)
  • Blue Tit
  • Nuthatch
  • Greenfinch
  • House Sparrow
  • Mallard (male and female)
  • Pheasant (male and female)
  • Blackbird
  • Magpie
  • Robin

Lillian's Hide
  • Teal (male and female)
  • Pintail
  • Shoveler
  • Coot
  • Mallard (male and female)


Public Hide
  • Cormorant
  • Marsh Harrier (2 in the distance)
  • Bittern (very briefly but clearly)
  • Gadwall
  • Teal
  • Shoveler
  • Mallard
  • Coot
  • Moorhen
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Mute Swan


    Lower Hide
    • Marsh Harrier (good view)
    • Coot
    • Moorhen
    • Gadwall
    • Pheasant (male and female)

    Allen Hide
    • Lapwing
    • Little Egret
    • Shelduck
    • Redshank (lots)



    Eric Morecambe Hide

    • Spotted Redshank
    • Carrion Crow
    • Merlin
    • Peregrine Falcon
    • Pintail (male and female)
    • Wigeon (male and female)
    • Starling
    • Grey Heron
    • Black-tailed Godwit (hundreds)


    Unfortunately the Bearded Tits didn't show while I was there today.  But out of 33 species seen, I did add four new birds to my year and life list, so that's not bad for my first visit here.

    On the way home I dropped in at Hest Bank and in the rapidly descending twilight at only 4:15pm I saw a Grey Heron, Curlew, Lapwing, Gulls and possibly some Redshank on the beach.  A great day out and I'll be back soon!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.