Wednesday 5 July 2017

Another Trip to Lunt Meadows


Following a tip off that the Barn Owls were currently showing well at Lunt Meadows, I set off late afternoon to see if I could get some photos for myself. I've seen these birds on many occasions here and they are well-known in the area as they breed locally. However, as with the Short-eared Owls which are here in the winter, I've never yet managed a shot with which I am really pleased.




The afternoon started well with these shots of a Sedge Warbler catching insects in the reeds and Umbelliferae. The light was good and so I thought the prospects of getting some decent Barn Owl shots were high.


Well today I waited for around five hours before one even appeared and even then it was distant. My guess is that because the weather had been so good all day, the Barn Owls probably fed early in the morning and then slept until dusk.  I got a couple of record shot snaps of one with prey but nothing much to write home about.

However, when you are out and about for a few hours, it's surprising how the species count does mount up with you realising it.  Here's a few record shots of other birds I saw today including Hobby, Buzzard, Lapwings, Oystercatchers, Linnets, Black-tailed Godwits and my first ever sighting of the famous Lunt Little Owl.





Some time the graininess of shot enhances the image and turns it into an atmospheric photograph, as in this Little Owl I shot at dusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.