Wednesday 5 October 2016

An Unbelievable Garden Tick

I've been digging a lot in my garden recently to make way for building a low retaining wall. Most of the garden is underlain with solid clay and so drainage is a problem as there's nowhere for the water to escape. Hence I've had quite a lot of standing water in some parts and this has attracted what for me is a most unusual bird to see in my garden - a beautiful Grey Wagtail. I really couldn't believe it when I first glimpsed out of the corner of my eye and so I was very pleased when I got a better look.



In fact, the first time I saw it through my patio windows there were in fact two birds, but they were very skittish an unapproachable and flew off as I got near the window. After this first viewing I didn't think I'd see them again, but in fact one bird did return on several occasions over the following few days. It never stayed very long and I couldn't get near it but I did at least manage this photograph today.

Grey Wagtails have a slate grey back and lemon breast and under-tail and a long tail. They feed on flies, insects and invertebrates along water courses and it looks as if my puddle of water was briefly a potential food source.

Unfortunately the water has now dried up completely and so I doubt if they'll return again. But it was great while it lasted and an incredible garden tick for me here in Tyldesley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.