Saturday 27 August 2016

Testing the latest Nikon 300mm f/4 PL VR lens at Moses Gate Country Park

As I mentioned in my previous post, I managed to borrow the latest Nikon f/4 300mm VR  lens off my L.O.S. friend Alan Wilcox, as I wanted to compare it to my big, bulky Nikon f/2.8 300mm. I've always been troubled by the fact that I bought this lens secondhand and I don't seem to get enough good shots from it. By good, I mean pin sharp and well exposed, even when using teleconverters. Other people swear by this lens and seem to do much better than I, and so by trying a completely different lens of the same focal length, I could perhaps see if it was all down to user-error rather than faulty equipmemt. That was the plan, however things are not always that straightforward are they?

So before I returned the lens later today, I managed to pop out to Moses Gate Country Park in Bolton to try out a few flight and other shots on the gulls and other birds there. My shots were rather unscientific and I just used the lens as I would use my f/2.8 300mm to compare the results. Here's what I got:















 Just common and garden birds but a good selection on a nice sunny day there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.