Friday 15 February 2013

Barn Owl Record Shots

Barn Owl

I've found a location for seeing a Barn Owl quite regularly in the afternoon around 4pm and so I visited it a few times last week.  Unfortunately, due to interference, the locations of Owls is generally kept quiet so I won't be publishing the details here, only the photos.  However, this place is quite well-known and I've seen two Barn Owls at the same time here which don't seem phased by the presence of people or dogs.



I first saw the Owls this year in January when it was snowing and I didn't manage to get very close, but this week I've got my best photo yet which is shown at the top of this post.  I've still a long way to go in getting a good photo, but this location bodes well for managing it, as I'm sure that one day the bird will fly past me at close range - I just need to be ready for it!



Whilst I was there one evening I met up with local photographers Darryl and John who have been photographing birds here for a long time.  They gave me some useful tips for getting a good shot of the bird as well as some other nearby locations for other birds.  A key thing that I learnt is the importance of covering your face with a balaclava or some netting to avoid the light reflecting off your skin. Although this is not much of an issue for this particular owl, other birds can see you a long way off without this cover.


So if the sun is shining this afternoon I'll be off there again in search of some better photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.