Tuesday 21 February 2012

Moore Nature Reserve, Warrington

With the prospect of some better weather today, I paid my first visit to Moore Nature Reserve in Warrington. As well as a general recognisance visit to learn the lay of the land, I had three target birds in mind:
  • Tawny Owl
  • Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
  • Bittern

These birds have all been reported recently on the Manchester Birding Forum thread for Moore.

On my way round today I saw the following birds:
  • Greenfinch
  • Treecreeper
  • Robin
  • Magpie
  • Wigeon
  • Tufted Duck
  • Great Tit
  • Blue Tit
  • Gadwall
  • Coot
  • Moorhen
  • Great Black-backed Gull
  • Grey Heron (juvenile)
  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Oystercatcher
  • Starling
  • Woodpigeon
  • Shelduck
  • Little Grebe
  • Canada Goose
  • Mallard
  • Long-tailed Tit
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker
  • Buzzard
  • Great Crested Grebe
  • Teal
  • Water Rail (heard only)
  • Raven
  • Cormorant
  • Crow
  • Goldfinch
  • Jackdaw
  • Tawny Owl
  • Reed Bunting
  • Jay
  • Chiffchaff
  • Oh and the back of a beautiful light brown fox as it ran away from the feeding station.
So 37 species on my first visit and one of my three target birds spotted - I can't be too disappointed with that can I?  But I'll be back .....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.