A good morning's birding on Irlam and Barton Mosses 9.30am-12.45pm with Martyn Jones delivered a couple of surprisesPlus the usual Blue, and Long-tailed Tits, Woodpigeons, Magpies, Carrion Crows.
Female Marsh Harrier hunting over Croxten and flushed 5 Teal (2m and; 3f) and a pair of Mallard. Could it be the same bird seen last year at Astley Peat Pools area?
2 Whooper Swans (adult and cygnet) still in f8. They have been here for over 3 weeks now A Mute Swan flew over from west, circled over f8 as though checking out the Whoopers then flew off over the railway.
- 4-5 Buzzards
- 2 pairs of Grey Partridge
- 1 Red-legged Partridge
- A few Pheasant
- c. 21 Tree Sparrows (16+ on track between f9 and 10, 7+ Woodbarn Farm)
- 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker calling from Dixons Wood
- 1 Snipe - Croxten
- Siskin over - heard only
- Collared Dove
- 5 Skylark
- c.6 Reed Buntings
- 5 Yellowhammer
- c. 40+ Linnet including a flock of c.30
- A few Goldfinches and Chaffinch
- 3 Pied Wagtails
- 4 Grey Herons
- Numerous pairs of Lapwing on territory
- 5 Herring Gulls over
- 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls over
- 2 Canada Geese over
I couldn't really improve on this excellent report by Steve so I've left it more or less as written.