Saturday 6 November 2010

Saturday Morning in My Back Garden

One day last week I'd seen a tiny little Wren flittng around two potted christmas trees that I keep in my back garden. However as it was a workday I couldn't watch it for long and so I decided to have another look for it today. I got up at 6:15am and waited for the dawn to break on a cloudless sky.

The birdlife slowly began to appear as the sun rose from behind the houses and over the course of a couple of hours I saw the following birds in or around my back garden:
  • Robin
  • Dunnock
  • House Sparrow
  • Blue Tit
  • Coal Tit
  • Blackbird
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Starling
  • Collared Dove
  • Magpie
  • Jay
And then I heard the distinctive sound of geese way up high in the sky.  I looked up and saw my first skein of 50+ geese flying in a fantastic V shape eastwards.  The sunlight made them all look slightly golden but I'm pretty sure they were Pink-footed Geese.

So the Jay and the geese were the two highlights of an interesting mornings birdwatching from the comfort of my patio windows, but I never did get to see the little wren.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.