Saturday 30 October 2010

'The Usual Suspects'

From now on I'm not going to bother listing birds that are generally categorised as 'The Usual Suspects' unless there is something special about them.  These include:
  • Canada Goose
  • Mallard
  • Coot
  • Moorhen
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Mute Swans
  • Blackbird
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Robin
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
The reason is that these birds are found pretty much everywhere I go and are always there.  That's not to say I've got anything against these birds, like people who regard some of them as pests. Indeed they pretty much got me interested in birding in the first place, being easy to see and identify.

Those birds which I'm not including in my own 'Usual Suspects' list are:
  • Grey Heron
  • Lapwing
  • Tufted Duck
  • Long-tailed Tit
  • Bullfinch
  • Greenfinch
  • Coal Tit
  • Chaffinch
This might surprise some people but to me these birds are still something of a novelty as I have only recently started observing them regularly.  However, they may well be added to 'The Usual Suspects' list as time goes by in my birding activities.

So you take it for granted that many of these birds will have been seen on most of my birding trips as well as those to which I've drawn particular attention.  They will simply be listed as 'The Usual Suspects' from now on.

P.S. In addition to not listing these birds, from now on I will only be tagging my posts with the names of birds for which I have included pictures in order to facilitate finding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.