Sunday 25 April 2010

Rindle Road and Astley Moss

After reading about it on the Manchester Birding website and forum, I decided to go and have a look down Rindle Road in the Astley Moss area. I was already quite familiar with the area, having lived less than 10 minutes away for the last 26 years, but not from a birding point of view.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I had barely turned the corner at the bottom of Rindle Road and saw two Whimbrel in the first field past the farms. And as I was watching them though my binoculars I heard a cuckoo calling from the field behind me. Things were already looking good.

It was here that I first met Dave Thacker, who confirmed that the birds were Whimbrel as I'd thought although there also seemed to be a Curlew calling somewhere in the distance too. Dave gave me lost of good advice and information about birding in this area - he's been coming here since he was a kid and seems to think of it as his backyard or garden. He also mentioned the Manchester Birding forum which I had already started using a couple of months ago.

That evening I went on to see some Mistle Thrush, Lapwing and a Heron in the fields on either side of the road. What a good start to my burgeoning relationship with this area!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.