Thursday 7 December 2017

A Precious Moment on the Dee Marshes

I had one of those birding moments today whilst out on the Dee Marshes today.  I went to the Wirral for the last of the recent 9 metre high tides, starting off at the Parkgate and ending up at Denhall Quay in Little Neston.  


There was nothing much showing  at Parkgate apart from this distant solitary Marsh Harrier and so I didn't stay there too long, deciding to head off to Denhall Quay via a Tesco Express in Neston for a £3 Meal Deal - the cold weather made me starving by lunchtime!


There was a bitingly cold wind on the coast and I thought this might have enhanced the high tide as it was blowing inland.  However, the tides didn't seem any higher than normal and it didn't really bring any more birds out than usual.  It was too windy for the Short-eared Owls here today, they don't seem to fly in the wind if they don't need to.  So Harriers were my best hope - and boy did one come.


This grey male Hen Harrier breezed past whilst I was stood about 100m out on the marsh looking back inland.  I was so excited that I fumbled with my camera in the freezing wind and the shots haven't come out as sharp as I would like. It was very difficult just standing still, nevermind keeping the tripod still and all this vibration hasn't helped the photographs.  But at least I got my best shots to date of this fabulous rare bird.





Whilst awaiting the arrival of some Harriers I spotted this distant squabble between a Buzzard and a Raven - it's usually the other way round with the Raven mobbing the Buzzard, but today the tables were turned.  It's nice to see the size difference between th two birds in this shot.  Buzzard are big so Ravens must be huge!










So what I've learnt from birding over the last few years is that the more I go out, the luckier I get, if you understand what I mean.  In other words, you've got to be in it to win it.

1 comment:

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.