Wednesday 3 August 2016

Damsels and Dragons again, at Rixton Claypits

I've really go the Damsels and Dragons bug (geddit?) now. After a day in my back garden clearing rubble and preparing the ground for a new natural stone retaining wall, I needed a morning off to take some photos. I'd been thinking of going to Rixton Clay Pits for a few days now and so this was the opportunity to go. It wasn't the best of days weather-wise, too windy and not really warm enough, but I was going anyway.

When I got to the car park near Chapel Lane on the A57 at around 9:30am it was locked, so I parked outside the gates. Then, as I was getting my camera gear together the warden arrived and opened the gates, so I moved my car inside the car parking area.

I concentrated on Area 3 as shown on the map above, as I had an appointment to make at 12pm. I was only going to be photographing damselflies and dragonflies, I just took my 300mm lens on my full frame camera body.

The main dragonfly area is down some steps at the Moat Lane end of Area 3. It was quite disappointing at first as there were nothing but flies here, so I didn't stay long.  I decided to walk around as many of the paths as possible, and it wasn't long before I had some glimpses of a couple of red bodied dragonflies, which were probably Common Darters.

I'll write this report up in full later, but for now here's a few of the photos I took:

Blue-tailed Damselfly

Blue-tailed Damselfly

Blue-tailed Damselfly

Female Common Darter

Male Common Darter

Well Hello ...

Male Common Darter

Female Common Darter
Male Common Da
Female Common Darter


Female Black Darter

Female Black Darter

Female Common Darter ?

1 comment:

  1. Really nice post

    Here is my website…. Northside Tree and Garden offers a wide range of services, including Tree Lopping, Garden Maintenance and Landscaping Services. Call today for a quote..... Tree cutting Sydney,Gardener north shore,Tree removal Sydney,Garden clearing,Tree service,Turf supplies sydney

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.