Thursday 21 April 2011

Lilford Woods and Environs

First of all I need to say what a great place this is - if you've never been or have not been for a few years like me, get yourself down there.

Apart from a couple of weeks ago, the last time I came here was about 10 years ago, when I was only focused on tiring the kids out on the playground. It's a shame the animal section has long gone, but there's a new trail around the edge of the flood basin and through the woods, and lots of little diversions off it into the trees. A fantastic place in the early morning spring sunshine and the woods were alive with birdsong.

Whilst there today I saw the following birds:
  • Chiffchaffs singing but not seen
  • Many Chaffinch, Blackbirds, Blue tits and Great Tits
  • 2 Long-tailed Tits
  • 1 Nuthatch ascending a conifer trunk
  • 1 Wren (carrying nest material I think)
  • Several Magpies, Crows and Woodpigeons
  • An acrobatic Grey Squirrel - they maybe regarded as vermin but they're still fun to watch
I didn't manage to see a Green Woodpecker or a Treecreeper which have both been reported here, but the Nuthatch and Wren madeup for it. There's stiil loads more for me to see so I'll probably be back again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by typing your message in the text box, selecting 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment as' drop down menu and then finally clicking the 'Publish' button. It would be nice to see your name in the text if possible - thanks.